So, you have a backyard and you’ve decided to organize it, remodel it, or give it new garden life. You may not know exactly what to do with it, in terms of design and landscaping. That is why we’ve put this article together, in order to help you find the best backyard gardening ideas and, after you’ve decided on a few, to see if they actually fit your home, the area you live in, the weather conditions, your budget, and so on. Let’s get planning!
1. How to find the best backyard garden ideas
In this day and age, when the internet is a vast and mighty force, turning to specialized help which you have to pay for, is no longer needed. Before the rise of the internet, if you were looking for garden backyard ideas, you, most probably, had to call in a specialist to give you directions, pointers or even to create a design. Here is what you can do:
- Log into online communities, where you can find all sorts of people who have been through this and can help you out with examples and backyard garden design ideas.
- Make Pinterest your best friend. The amazing site is heaven for DIY aficionados, as well as for those who are on a budget. A simple search will render thousands of photos and articles which you can draw your inspiration from.
- Remember to save all the Pins. The articles and pictures you find on Pinterest are called Pins and the people’s “pools”, where they post related things, are called “Boards”. The good thing is that you can save both the pins and the boards which you like about small backyard garden ideas directly to your Pinterest account, so there’s no need to fill your laptop.
- Pinterest also allows you to shop. This is a brand new feature, which lets you actually buy the products you see, either by redirecting you to big resellers like Amazon, Ebay, or Etsy or by redirecting you to stores inside Pinterest itself.
- Do a research on Google for specialized blogs. You will find them literally in the thousands. If still unsure which one to choose, you can also find them ranked in different articles such as The Best Landscaping Blogs of 2014. They are sure to provide you with amazing ideas.
- You can also try the old-fashioned magazines, if you’re a fan of the hard-copy word. There are tens of them. One good tip is not to stop at your local ones. For example, if you’re American, try the UK and Australian magazines as well. You’ll find unique styles and ideas, which will set your garden apart from all the other local ones.
2. How to decide which idea is best for you
So, after you’ve done a thorough and, hopefully, exhaustive research, you should choose a few design ideas. However, there are catches here as well, for which we have some tips and tricks.
- Never settle for a single design at the beginning of your design project. Although you might long to turn your back garden into a Moroccan oasis, it might not always be possible. You might not have enough room, enough money, the weather conditions might not allow you to grow the special flowers and shrubberies needed, your garden might be too small, and so on. At first, pick more than one style.
- Decide on your budget. This will be a very important decision factor when you come to actually settling down on a design. Evidently, some designs are a lot cheaper than others. For example, English cottage garden will always be less pricey than tropical island garden, because you will need cheaper materials, flowers, and plants.
- Research your weather conditions and see what kind of plants, flowers, or vegetables you can actually grow in your garden. Perhaps bromeliads are your favorite flowers, but, unless you live at the Equator, you won’t be able to grow them. See how much humidity your garden holds or needs, what part of it is in the sunlight and which part in the shade, do a search for rodents and pests, and try to eliminate them from the beginning. Gardening requirements are not to be overlooked.
- Now that you’ve answered a few of these requirements, you might notice that the list of designs you began with has gotten considerably shorter. Tropical island is out, by-the-sea-side is out as well, just like Japanese garden, which is very expensive. You should be left with only two or three options, which are the best for you.
- Be honest and practical when you choose between those options. Having a vegetable garden might sound wonderful at first, but be reasonable and think that it will require a lot of back-breaking work, depending on how many yards it measures. You need to plant it, water it, add fertilizers and harvest it.
- Take into consideration criteria such as time, effort, health, or if other members of the family are willing to help you. Small backyard vegetable garden ideas might look wonderful in pictures, but the reality is much different. If you choose to not put all this work into a vegetable garden, then, maybe, a simple flower garden is sufficient for you.
- And, lastly, now that you’ve settled on a design, think about the purpose you want to give your garden. Do you want a place to relax and read, somewhere where you can drink your coffee in the morning, somewhere where you can take long walks, entertain your friends or, maybe, even hold wedding ceremonies? The ultimate design will depend on this.
If you want it to be so fancy and boho that a wedding could be held in there, then all the landscaping and decorating will be done accordingly. If, by contrast, you just want to have dinner on summer nights, you can bring in a table, some chairs, plant a beautiful bed of flowers and let nature run its course.
So, there you have it. Your guide to finding and choosing the best backyard garden ideas and options for transforming your outdoor space into the natural haven you’ve always dreamed of.